Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Top Chef

For anyone that knows me on a personal level knows that I love Bravo TV. Between the housewives, yacht workers, and cooking competitions I am obsessed! I am an avid fan of basically every show on the network! Top Chef is up there on my favorite shows. I have been watching this cooking competition show since my early middle/high school days. It was a family tradition where we all gathered around the TV and rooted for our favorite chef. The show starts with about twelve to nineteen chefs from around the country selected through prior auditions. These chefs are brought to a dedicated location such as NYC or LA to compete throughout the season until elimination. The chefs participate in a quick-fire challenge and an elimination challenge. The challenges are very complex and sometimes can be out of the box! It is always fun to see how these chefs prepare the meals and execute their ideas. I have always wished I could taste them myself.



If you stuck with me this far I am sorry for the brief synopsis about the show, but the point of this blog post is that this past weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to meet one of my favorite and most recent (this past season) contestant on top chef, Kwame Onwuachi! This past weekend Kwame created a pop up restaurant at Union Market in Washington DC called Philly Wing Fry. Wow oh wow did everything about this meal and Kwame himself live up to my expectations! 


The Menu 


 The Pop Up 


The Box

Philly Wing Fry had a box set. Within the box came a dry aged wagyu philly cheesesteak, crispy chicken wing confit with tamrind glaze, waffle fries, and either cucumber yuzu soda or seabuckthorn lemonade. Everything was absolutely delicious I don’t think I have ever tasted a meal this good! The Wagyu Philly Cheesesteak was my favorite aspect of the box. The meat was tender and overflowing with delicious flavors that made my taste buds come alive! All of the other components that accompanied the meat really allowed the sandwich to go above and beyond. The wings and the fries also exceed my expectations! I felt like I was fine dinning on a picnic bench outside in the rain! 





I was beyond pleased with this pop up restaurant and all proceeds went to No Kid Hungry, which is a campaign that aims to end childhood hunger! It supported a great cause and I was happy to contribute!


Kwame was also extremely friendly and grateful that everyone came out to support and try his food. He walked up and down the long line introducing himself, talking to fans, and allowing for pictures! Here I am with Kwame as I fan girl so hard in the rain! Overall it was a fantastic day and I can’t wait to try Kwame’s new restaurant opening soon in DC!


Cheers,

L

No comments:

Post a Comment