Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Mani Pedi

Graduation is approaching and although I am excited to celebrate my achievements, I am also very nervous to see what the future has in store for me. Ever since I was little I was told that school was my job and my focus. Every year I would advance a grade, then get into college, earn a degree, and get a job. These steps sound so easy but it’s extremely overwhelming! I don’t have a clear path and without going to school I feel like my whole routine and daily life style is going to change! I like to think I am prepared but in reality I’m not. Even if you currently can’t relate to my feelings, we will all go through it at one point in time.



The point of my above paragraph rant is to inform all of you soon to be college graduates of a wonderful woman who wrote a fabulous book on how to handle these life changes. Julia Miles-Davis is the author of Mani Pedi and I had to the opportunity to meet her. She discussed Mani Pedi and how it was written for college students and recent graduates who find themselves facing the reality of life after graduation (aka me). Her book is not a typical five hundred-page self-help publication that you can find in your college bookstore, but rather a short honest opinion on what to expect.


What really hit home for me was how Julia opened up about her personal experience. She stated that we should have these goals to work towards yet to not be discouraged if it doesn’t all magically fall into place. As a “type a” individual I beat myself up too much for that exact reason. Its okay to be anxious and to have self doubt but don’t let that eat you up! Remember that you are a wonderful human being and it might take some time for everything to fall into place the way you want it to.

After the discussion I spoke to Julia and was so impressed! I bought the book, had it signed, and went home and read it in one sitting. When I finished the book it was as if a weight was released off of my shoulders. It all made sense and I was putting too much pressure on myself. I hope all of you can find support within this book like I did! It has really changed my outlook on the future!



Cheers,

L


No comments:

Post a Comment