Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas Wrap Up


Wow oh wow I can’t believe Christmas has officially ended. I love this time of year but it is always sad when it comes to a close. I wanted to share with all of you what my family and I did on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day! Our traditions are special and they make up what I believe is the Christmas spirit.


Christmas Eve:

My family is 100 percent Italian. My great grandparents (on both sides of the family) traveled from Italy to Ellis Island and soon created a life in the United States. My family still has many roots in Italy, but we like to bring the Italian traditions right into our house. For as long as I can remember on Christmas Eve, my family celebrates by creating The Feast of the Seven Fishes (Festa Dei Sette Pesci). The meal consists of seven different seafood dishes. The tradition originates from Southern Italy where fish is abundant and delicious. There is no exact reason why there are only seven fishes, but it is still delicious. My mom (who is an excellent cook) made an incredible meal, which included; crab, shrimp, scallops, lobster, clams, mussels, and octopus. These fishes were in appetizers, the main dish that was a red sauce with lots of seafood in it, and broiled lobster tails. It was absolutely delicious and I wish I could eat like this everyday. After the feast my family (including grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins) gather around the tree and exchange gifts. The evening ends with dessert and midnight mass at our local church!




Christmas Day: 

On Christmas Day my entire family wakes up early to see what Santa brought all of us. We love opening and exchanging presents. I received some amazing gifts (that I will share soon in a future blog post), and I loved giving everyone their gifts. After opening presents we pack up the car and head to New Jersey to spend time with more family. It is a great time because everyone gets together and enjoys another delicious meal consisting of mashed potatoes, vegetables, pasta, and prime rib.




I am sad Christmas has come to an end but I love creating all of these memories and upholding the many traditions my family has. I hope all of you had a wonderful and blessed Christmas. Stay tuned for my future blog post about what I received as well as what I gave!

Cheers,

L

No comments:

Post a Comment